More than 350 of the upstream oil and gas industry’s brightest minds gathered Thursday to find out, and celebrate, the winners of the 2018 World Oil Awards. The awards ceremony, now in its 17th year, seeks to recognize and honor the upstream industry’s top innovations and innovators.
Honorees took home awards in 18 categories—encompassing the full breadth of the upstream industry—from the gala event in Houston, Texas. Today’s innovations, many of which would have seemed far-fetched a generation ago, are enabling operators to find and produce hydrocarbons more safely, economically and efficiently.
This year, 290 nominations were submitted from more than 20 countries around the world. Ninety-three finalists were selected, and the following award winners were hand-picked by the World Oil Awards advisory board as this year’s most groundbreaking industry developments.
A complete list of the categories and winners appears below:
1. Best Completion Technology Award – Drill2Frac Engineered Diversion Service, Drill2Frac
2. Best Data Management & Application Solution Award – IntelliStream Rod Lift System—AI-Based Fault Detection, Baker Hughes, a GE company
3. Best Deepwater Technology Award – Lightweight Compact Tree, Baker Hughes, a GE company
4. Best Drilling and Completion Fluids Award – PRIMO-FAZE Low-Oil/Water Ratio Reversible Nonaqueous Reservoir Drill-in Fluid System, M-I SWACO, a Schlumberger company
5. Best Drilling Technology Award – Curve Drilling AST, Tomax Drilling Technology LLC
6. Best EOR Technology Award – High-Boost Pump for Heavy Oil Applications, Schlumberger OneSubsea
7. Best Exploration Technology Award – SpiceRack, Saudi Aramco
8. Best Health, Safety, Environment/Sustainable Development – Offshore Award – Global Rapid Intervention Package (GRIP), Halliburton
9. Best Health, Safety, Environment/Sustainable Development – Onshore Award – BaraOmni Hybrid Separation System, Halliburton
10. Best Outreach Program – Oilfield Helping Hands
11. Best Production Chemicals Award – FATHOM XT SUBSEA226 Black Oil Foamer, Baker Hughes, a GE company
12. Best Production Technology Award – Wet Gas Multiphase Compressor, Schlumberger OneSubsea
13. Best Digital Transformation Award – Voice of the Oilfield Solution, Halliburton
14. Best Well Integrity Technology Award – SealBond Ultra Cement Spacer System, Baker Hughes, a GE company
15. Best Well Intervention Technology Award – Intelligent Injector Control System, Baker Hughes, a GE company
16. Innovative Thinker Award – Dr. Sven Krueger, Baker Hughes, a GE company
17. Lifetime Achievement Award – Frank Walles
18. New Horizons Idea Award – DELFI Cognitive E&P Environment, Schlumberger.
As part of World Oil’s commitment to the long-term health of the industry, each year the World Oil Awards endow a leading university, which provides education for careers in the petroleum industry, with much-needed funding to equip the next generation of innovators.
Since the inception of the World Oil Awards, donations have been distributed to 34 universities and organizations as varying as the University of Houston and the University of Ibadan in Nigeria. This year’s beneficiary is the Oil and Gas Drilling Services Study Program of Lone Star College.
The 2018 World Oil Awards were generously sponsored by: Baker Hughes, a GE company; Weatherford International; AFGlobal; Clariant; Halliburton; and Eddie V’s Prime Seafood.
World Oil, the leading oil and gas trade journal for the exploration, drilling and production sector, has a worldwide circulation of more than 47,000 subscribers. Gulf Energy Information has published World Oil for 102 years.