Richard Ginika Izuora
Nigerian Army authorities, have denied some gory trending pictures and videos showing dead bodies being dumped into mass graves.
The picture was indicating that the bodies were those killed in military operations.
The Director, Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Benjamin Sawyerr in reaction dismissed the pictures and videos on Sunday, September 12, in Abuja.
Sawyer said that a picture with the caption, “Alhamdulillah, Zamfara Must Secure” and several other viral gory pictures and videos were purported to have emanated from the ongoing Army operations in the North-West and North-Central parts of the country.
He said, it is pertinent to state that the allegation is false and malicious; and also has no link whatsoever with the operations being conducted by troops of the Armed Forces of Nigeria (AFN).
“However, it is true that the AFN is presently conducting successful military operations against bandits and kidnappers in line with their constitutional roles.
“These operations are conducted in strict compliance with the rules of armed conflicts; utmost professional manner; strict adherence to rules of engagement and respect for fundamental human rights and dignity.
“The viral pictures being circulated have nothing in common with the ongoing operations.
“This callous action of linking ongoing operations with falsehood is deliberate; and thus seeks to tarnish the good image and reputation of the AFN,” he said.
Sawyerr, added that the Army had been carrying out periodic media briefings; where pictures of the operations were usually displayed to complement achievements in the ongoing operations.
The spokesman advised the public to disregard the gory pictures, assuring that the military would continue to perform its constitutional mandate of ensuring that the nation remained safe as well as peaceful for all law-abiding citizens.