Richard Ginika Izuora
The management of Mainland Hospital in Lagos, on Sunday, November 22, said it had been directed by the state Ministry of Health; not to release bodies of people who died during #EndSARS protests.
Medical Director of Lagos Mainland Hospital, Dr. Abimbola Bowale, confirmed the directive during an interview.
“It is only the commissioner (of health) or even Mr. Governor that can release the body to you, Sir. So, you will have to contact him,” he said.
This pronouncement comes in the aftermath of the Chief Coroner of Lagos State, Mrs Mojisola Dada in a public announcement; directing relatives of people, who lost their lives between October 19th and 27; to visit the Lagos State Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) to identify and claim bodies of their loved ones.
The public notice reads, “This is to notify the General Public that the Chief Coroner of Lagos State, Hon Justice M. A. Dada (Mrs.) pursuant to Section 15, Coroner’s System Law of Lagos State, 2015 the Pathology Team would want all those who have lost loved ones between 19th — 27th October 2020 (that is, next-of-kin of the victims) to provide relevant information that would assist the identification exercise.
“The next-of-kin should kindly contact the Department of Pathology and Forensic Medicine, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Oba Akinjobi Way, Ikeja for the identification exercise of the Deceased.”