There are unconfirmed report that the Federal Government on Monday, November 2, started the collating a no-fly list of ‘hundreds of Nigerians’ they suspected of energising the #EndSARS movement that loomed across the country last month,
This move to silence the #EndSARS protesters could drive a wedge of mutual suspicions in ongoing negotiations between the government and the protesters.
According to three anonymous officials with knowledge of the government’s plans; the federal interior minister was allegedly responsible for the controversial list.
Officials did not immediately accuse the #EndSARS protesters of any crime; but the ministry started collating the list nearly two weeks ago, an official said.
Two sources at the State Security Service revealed that the interior ministry, under Rauf Aregbesola requested from the secret police whether or not it had a profile of key supporters of the protests.
The immigration office is domiciled under the interior ministry; and a senior official said the ministry planned to forward names of “hundreds of Nigerians” who should be targeted for an overseas journey
“We told the ministry that we have not started compiling a list of the protesters; because we did not get a presidential directive to do so as of that time,” the official said.
“But the ministry went on on its own to start collating a list for enforcement.”
Another SSS official attached to civil aviation explained that the list was yet to be formally circulated; but six people suspected of participating in #EndSARS were already prevented from traveling last week.
“I know six people have been prevented from travelling to Europe and Dubai; because of the troubles they put the government through with their campaign against security workers,” the official said.
“The immigration people are already doing their own work; but we have not received any list from the headquarters.”