Richard Ginika Izuora
Unknown gunmen have reportedly attacked a village in northwest Nigeria killing at least 33 people, on Sunday.
The report said over 35 houses were destroyed in the violence in Runji, in Kaduna State, said Francis Zimbo, chairman of the Zangon Kataf area where the massacre took place.
Zimbo provided the number of fatalities, but Government has not confirmed casualties including the number of people killed.
“Troops had a fierce encounter with the attackers and are still in the general area,” said Samuel Aruwan, the State Commissioner of security.
No group has claimed responsibility for the killings but gangs of bandits have been accused of being responsible for attacks in the region, which includes the kidnapping for ransom and killing of civilians.
Earlier this month, gunmen kidnapped 10 students about a half-hour drive by car from where Saturday’s attack occurred.
Thea Federal Government is still struggling to contain the violence in the country’s northwest despite a reduction in attacks last year as security forces ramped up military operations targeting the gunmen’s hideouts.