Dr Olufemi Damilola Oke-Osanyintolu of Lagos State Emmergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has said that the building which collapsed in Lagos at the weekend was already in violation of safety protocols.
He said: “It was discovered that the building had been captured by the LASBCA District Office and served with all Statutory Notices, Sealed at District and Central Enforcement Level.
“Further investigation determined that the developer had continued clandestine operations mostly at night and at the weekends,” he said.
Meanwhile, four dead bodies have been recovered while five were rescued alive under the rubbles of a three-storey building that collapsed on 4, Alayaki Lane off Freeman Street, Lagos Island on Saturday.
As at early Sunday morning, Coordinator, Lagos Territorial Office of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, said rescue operations has reached ground zero, while all victims have been evacuated.
He said the collapse building under construction was located within a compound and it was a frame structure as at the time of the unfortunate collapse, the third suspended slab concrete was already in place with ongoing internal partition.
The building crumble during a downpour at about 1345hours on Saturday.
According to him, the building was bequeathed to the family members and some awarded it to a developer who was converting the bungalow building into three storey building before it collapsed.
Agencies that participated in operations are NEMA, LASEMA, Federal and State Fire Services, NSCDC, Police Disaster Management Unit, Lagos State Police Command , Ambulances and Nigeria Red Cross.