Unemployed man docked for alleged assault on student

A 38-year-old unemployed man, Johnson Adebayo, on Tuesday appeared in an Iyaganku Magistrates’ Court, Ibadan, for allegedly assaulting a secondary school student.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), reports that Adebayo, of Oke-Ado area of Ibadan, is facing a one-count charge of assault.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Magistrate, Mrs Munirat Giwa-Babalola, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N500,000 with one surety in like sum.

Giwa-Babalola, then adjourned the matter till July 22, for further hearing.

The prosecution counsel, Insp. Olufemi Omilana, had earlier told the court that Adebayo assaulted one Samad Azeez, a secondary school student, who was on his way back from school.

The offence, according to Omilani, was committed on on May 25, at about 3.00 p.m. at Ajanla area of Oke-Ado, Ibadan.

The prosecutor said that the defendant allegedly struck the victim’s forehead with a cutlass, inflicting on him a deep injury.

The offence, he said, contravened Section 355 of the Criminal Code Laws of Oyo State 2000.

NAN reports that if found guilty of the charge, Adebayo is liable to three years imprisonment. (NAN)

Add Comment