Richard Ginika Izuora
The International Criminal Court, ICC, on Wednesday, November 4, said it has opened an enquiry into the alleged shooting of #EndSARS protesters, the BBC reported.
A statement from the office of the ICC prosecutor had earlier said it had received information on alleged crimes; and would conduct a preliminary investigation.
The examination will “assess whether the legal criteria for opening an investigation under; the Rome Statute are met”, the statement noted.
The Office of the ICC Prosecutor confirmed it is now analysing the material sent; and when a final decision on this process is reached, it will be made public.
Rights group Amnesty International said security forces opened fire on protesters; killing; and injuring a number of people. Both the police and the army have rejected the allegation.